1/17/13

LOEB :: Cowboys

The League of Extraordinary Bloggers theme this week is a vague one, so my response is equally vague.

The assignment: Cowboys.

My response:

Do you see it? No, not those Space: 1999 or Buck Rogers (EDIT: The green one is a Flash Gordon starship made by Tootsie Toys - thanks Brian! And the silver one is Thunderbird-1 from The Thunderbirds, but manufacturer is still unknown - thanks CB!) or whatever vehicles on the left, not my sister waiting impatiently for a piece of cake or my pals Wayne and his brother Justin who's subconsciously mimicking my epic candle blow-out skills.

It's not even that sweet-ass Tweety Bird cake I'm talkin' about.

I'm talkin' bout this:
At first I thought that was Tonto's horse Scout hiding behind that massive '5' shaped cactus. But this picture was taken in 1979, and those Gabriel toys didn't come out until 80 or 81. I remember owning Tonto from that series but don't recall ever owning a horse. Further research led me to a Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid toyline from Kenner that was around in 1979. Could this be a horse from that line? Who has the markings of Scout?!?! I have no memories of this horse!

Maybe some mysterious masked man can ride in and solve this mystery for us!

UPDATE: I think I solved it myself: Legends of the West by Empire.

In the meantime mosey on over to these fine LOEB member's pages, pardner:
Cool and Collected collected a horseshit-load of Lone Ranger stuff
Branded in the 80s hops in the saddle with the Tonto I had (and others) from the Gabriel toyline
And Tupa's Treasures draws an actual 'cow boy,' baby (no word yet on if his top is let down and if the sunshine's shinin')

12 comments:

  1. A little peek at a young "classic" Bubba. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the classics never go out of style - like my Ernie shirt and bowl haircut lol.

      Delete
  2. I love photos like this! That green spaceship is Ming's ship from Flash Gordon -- a Tootsie toy from the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info Brian! I should have guessed Flash Gordon, given this pic's proximity to the classic movie!

      Delete
  3. I don't know what that silver ship/plane is, but seeing it makes me remember I had one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to pull out my Lone Ranger stuff.

    I bet this kid grows up to hate dollies. I would love to see the secret origin of how that happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story is shrouded in mystery and conjecture.

      Delete
  5. The little silver ship is Thunderbird 1, or a knock off of Thunderbird 1, not sure of the manufacturer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info, CB! And thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule of peeing in milk bottles and not cutting your fingernails to comment ;)

      Delete
  6. I don't know about the horse, but when it comes to "cowboys," my question is: Why can't we get a really cool line of cowboy figures?
    Here is my plea: Neca, get the license for Red Dead Redemption, and crank out some player select figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the new Lone Ranger movie will help make Cowboys the 'in' thing again.

      Delete