11/13/13

Harley Qwednesday :: Funko Pop! Harley Quinn With Mallet

Although they are extremely popular with geek collectors due to the wide array of characters, themes and licenses they cover, this Harley Quinn is my first (and as of press time, only) Funko Pop! vinyl figure.

It isn't that I have anything against them, it's just one of those 'can't justify starting another collection' situations. But when I first discovered Funko was making a Harley Quinn Pop, I knew I had to have her. It may be hard to believe, but my Harley Quinn collection is actually rather modest. So I was able to justify another one to myself easily, especially such a cutie, even if I don't collect the Funko Pop line in general.

The prototype I posted before shows Harley holding her pop gun, but the one I ended up finding is actually the Hot Topic exclusive 'Harley Quinn with Mallet' version. I've not seen the standard version in person yet, but I am glad to have this one and will probably get the other one if and when I find her. I can justify two Pop Harleys!

I like that this version not only has a completely different body/pose due to the way she is holding the mallet, but that the eyes are in angry mode too. A nice little touch that sets her apart a little more and helps to justify owning both versions!

I have to admit, the more I look at these, the more I am tempted. Nightwing and Batman Beyond in particular are looking very appealing to me. Unfortunately Hot Topic had neither and I am not sure how easy any of these might be to come by locally, as I have never actively pursued them. Stay Tuned, constant reader!

I have read on other blogs that these Funko figures suffer from a lot of paint app issues, and my Harley is no different. There are a few spots of black overspray and some white paint scattered around various locations of her body. Fortunately her head, face and mask are well painted on my example, and the other issues are minor enough for me to overlook, since it is such a cute Harley Quinn overall.

When I first found Harley a couple weeks ago, she was the only one in stock, however I have since been back to my local Hot Topic and noticed they had quite a few (but still no standard version.) So even though she's an exclusive, it appears she won't be too hard to find, at least in my area.

Will this little Harley Quinn lead to more Pop! vinyl here at Toyriffic? Only the Shadow knows!

Now if only I can find the standard version...

6 comments:

  1. I'm very selective of my Funko Pop! figures now. At first I tried to collect them as a line, and I quickly gave up that idea as the sheer volume of character selection just snowballed into insane proportions. Now I only buy characters I absolutely adore. I have a whole set of Marvel characters collecting dust in the attic because I have nowhere to dosplay them. I pretty much just focus on the few horror movie icons I LOVE, and a few other really iconic characters. I currently have 16 of them out on display in the Cave right now, and they range from characters like Freddy and Jason to Darth Vader, DJ Lance Rock, The Joker and Batman, Jack Skellington Gizmo, and Elvis. My next must-have character is going to be Sam from Trick R' Treat which was supposed to be released on the 12th. But you have to be careful. Justify one and suddenly you end up with an army of them peering down at you from your shelves with their flat, lifeless eyes... black eyes, like a dolls eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a few in the past and while i like them i don't feel the need to collect them at the moment but this could easily change in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funko, to me, isn't about collecting.. it's about buying the ones you love. They actually embrace cherry pickers and encourage them, and release their figures at a price that makes it affordable to do so. I love being able to buy Carolanne figures on occasion, and display them with their unique appearance. I think it's a horrible line for completists, but so great for people like me that take em as I like em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought the Jason Voorhees Funko Pop! because I thought he was cute, and I had no intentions of getting any more.. Then I got Daryl Dixon. Then my husband bought me The Joker and himself the Green Arrow. Then came Hannibal Lector. I currently have Sam from Trick 'r Treat on order. And next year they release a whole slew of of Quentin Tarantino characters (from Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill) and I find myself already pining for those. I was blindsided into a collection of adorableness, and now I can't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be crazy to try to be a completist with Funko hitting near every corner of fandom! But I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there who have done so, considering how crazy us collectors can be.

    I'm sure, the other Harley Quinn notwithstanding, this won't be my last Pop figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, seriously, you have to check out the '66 Batman and Batmobile. I love seeing that on the shelf.. Jon Snow is actually driving it around right now.

      Delete