7/21/15

1966 Batmobile Kiddie Ride

I recently spotted this 1966 Batmobile coin operated Kiddie Ride outside a K-Mart in Salinas, California. I am pretty sure this is the same machine I spotted a couple years ago outside a K-Mart in Watsonville California. What is it about K-Marts and these silly coin-op kiddie rides? They seem to go together like, well, K-Mart and aisles that look like they were hit by a tornado. But K-Marts have always had these kiddie rides in front of them for as long as I can remember - ever since I was a wee lad riding on them myself.

Anyways, I don't make it to either K-Mart location very often, but when I saw this Batmobile ride in Watsonville I had hoped I could get my intern over to ride on it. Sadly by the time I got back that way again it was gone.

Now it's in Salinas, and again I did not have my intern with me. I did however have a camera.

I also lucked out, because while I was getting ready to take the pictures a couple with a baby stopped at it and plunked in the fifty cents so junior could take it for a spin. I was nearly as excited as the kid (ok, I was more excited) when I discovered that when the ride kicks in it also plays the Batman TV theme song!

Holy two-bits, Batman!

I want this thing in my living room.

7 comments:

  1. You didn't get in it and take a selfie?!?! I totally would have. In fact, I just might the next time I'm in Salinas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this exact same ride right now and Im trying to find a buyer. It works like a dream and is painted blue, red, and yellow but in some spots the paint is wearing and you can see the black paint underneath. Its set at 25 cents a ride. Ive had it in my garage for almost 2 years now and would like to sell it to someone who appreciates it, rather than just anyone. Im not looking to make a fortune . Im in upper michigan area and would be happy to ship it if I find a buyer. My email address is jenrem76.jr@gmail.com. please let me know if you want it asap. I dont know how to post pics on this blog but Im willing to send them in text or email. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you still have this please email me sheamatthew86@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. I have one for sale in Southern California carylyouell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete