3/27/09

Time After Time

The most recent episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold teamed Batman with Etrigan the Demon in Victorian London, in a story highlighting the origins of The Gentleman Ghost and also teaming Bats with the greatest detective of all time, Sherlock Holmes.

In a moment of unbridled and totally unexpected awesomeness, Batman's tattered costume is fixed by the magics of Etrigan, altered to better reflect the time period and - here's where comic nerds the world over screamed a squee of delight - exactly duplicated the costume worn by Batman in the Elseworlds tale Batman: Gotham by Gaslight.

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight is my favorite Batman "what if" (or as DC calls them, Elseworlds) story and if I recall it is the first story under the Elseworlds banner. It places Batman in the Victorian era on the trail of Jack the Ripper and is illustrated with amazing art by Mike Mignola.

So I have my DC Direct Gotham by Gaslight Batman and my DC Universe Classics Etrigan, and I decided to team them up as an homage to one of the coolest episodes of Brave and the Bold yet!

G by G Batman has limited articulation in the manner expected from DC Direct, but he's a beautiful replication of the art of Mike Mignola.

Etrigan has all the articulation of the DCUC figures, and is a beautifully rendered comic version sculpted by the amazing Four Horsemen for Mattel.


What an awesome and unexpected team-up! Thank you Batman: The Brave and the Bold for being so freaking cool.

6 comments:

  1. I've gotta check out that episode. I've been surprised at the B&B episodes that I've seen so far; they've been fun, well-written, and slightly silly without falling into such terrible nonsense as Teen Titans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great episode, Philip - I highly recommend you see it!

    I agree, the series has been great and has exceeded my expectations - it's a wonderful and often refreshing take on Batman.

    Teen Titans was hard for me to choke down, although I really really wanted to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally squeeled like a little girl also....we need a club just for moments like that because this series is chock full of them. I love that its just old school Bats and his buddies without Bruce or Robin or even Alfred. Someone with some serious love for our Bat made this and they got it RIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't agree with you more Calvin! I just shiver with excitement thinking about how they will continue to top themselves - we're still only in season one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AAAAGH!!!! I can't believe I missed this one!! Hope the DVD set will be released soon.

    Oh, by the way, Bubba...we'll miss you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You missed a good one Brian. Ironically, they even played it again last Saturday.

    I hope this week holds a new episode.

    And I'll miss you most of all, Scarecro...I mean Brian. ;)

    ReplyDelete