4/27/16

Clay Lady Clay, Clay Across My Big Brass Bed

Clayface had never before been better represented than when he was re-imagined for the Batman Animated cartoon series. Who can forget that iconic animated moment when Batman bursts forth from Clayface via his grapple hook after being absorbed and presumably suffocated by the big brown mass of malleable mud!?!?

Clayface the action figure is a big rubber guy, he comes across as a bath toy in his makeup. But he's a perfect representation of his cartoon counterpart! One of his hands is transforming into blades, and the other...

...is morphing into a mace ball which is supposed to 'launch' when you squeeze Clayface's left arm. Mine never quite worked but I got it second-hand, so perhaps he worked well right out of the package. I was lucky to find my Clayface with his mace ball attached at the flea market many years ago. I also have a lighter brown version which came in a TRU exclusive four pack late in the line, and his left arm is different and does not include the mace ball feature. I will have to dig him out soon for a review too!

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I have only had this one for maybe 5 or 6 years. He's pretty awesome, I really should have paid attention to this line when it was on shelves, but fortunately I have amassed a good collection second-hand.

      Delete
  2. The BTAS/TNBA Kenner/Hasbro lines are some of my absolute favorite. The recent revival with screen accurate figures in true Bruce Timm style is amazing. The price point ($20-25 for the basic singles) is decent, considering the excellent sculpting and decent paint-work. The only real issue was the breakage of limbs in the earliest releases.

    I just picked up a loose Scarecrow complete with scythe and crow from the 1997 "Alliance of Fear" boxed set at my local comic shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice score! That's the scarecrow I have too. The new line is pretty great but the originals are superior in my opinion. The line is just so much better as a toy line than a higher end fragile collectible line.

      Delete
  3. Is yours the "hard-plastic" or the softer ??
    We got ours back when they came out. Always like the Villains !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's relatively soft like a rubber ducky I suppose. His mace ball arm is softer because you are supposed to be able to squeeze it and air launch the ball. Is there a hard plastic variant?

      Delete
  4. the other type was made of harder plastic. we like the version that you got better.

    ReplyDelete