11/9/12

Going Bananas

"Well I'll be a monkey's uncle!"

In my opinion, Sergeant Bananas is an odd addition to the original Playmates Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles toyline.

Is there such thing as an 'odd addition' to an otherwise mental menagerie? Yes.

Why?
Because Sergeant Bananas is a mutated ape. But aren't we as humans mutated apes already? So how do you mutate an ape?

Put pants and a helmet on it apparently.

Face it: they just put clothes on a gorilla and called it a mutated man-ape. Cheap!

Sergeant Bananas lacks a lot of the oddball mutated charm characters like Monty Moose or Dr. El have in spades.

Really; all Playmates were doing was betting all their chips on the Guerilla/Gorilla pun. HILARIOUS!

"I love the smell of banana in the morning. It smells like banana."

Still, Sergeant Bananas is a fun TMNT toy from 1991. Mine has no accessories, but he originally came with a snake/belt, a gun and a sidekick 'Larry the Lemur.' Still, he's a solid figure without them so I don't feel the need to go out of my way to track them down.

Sgt. Bananas is a cool gorilla and a welcome addition to my anti-Foot Army!

9 comments:

  1. The difference between us and apes is rational thinking. Also a mutated ape would make some sense, as a human ape hybrid would allow the mutant to speak as we humans do. I agree the he doesn't have the panache of a lot of the other figures, but you might as well throw in every creature in the animal kingdom(which is pretty much what TMNT did back in the day).

    Also, quite a few of the figures came with little sidekicks, and even though they're single-colored, they're pretty cool looking. I know you like mini-figures, so collecting they little guys might be right up your alley. Some can be a real pain to find, and are as cheap on the secondary market as you'd expect, but there are always deals to be had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points. I am a fan of guys like Gorilla Grodd so I can see this guy as an advanced ape for sure.

      I have a few of the mini-figures and pick them up whenever I spot one at the flea market for cheap - but like you said, they are hard to come by. I don't have Larry the Lemur (who came with Sgt. Bananas) unfortunately :(

      Delete
  2. I was just going to say you could use him as Grodd's second in command. Dressed for battle with the humans...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have him on display at my work next to my JLU Grodd and Ultra Humanite. So he is in good (bad?) company ;)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks jboy! You should know, since he came from you!

      Delete