9/5/08

Master of Puppets

I previously posted about the Ventriloquist/Scarface action figure from the most recent Batman cartoon, titled simply "The Batman."

Today I am covering their plastic incarnation from Batman: The Animated Series, as released in the Puppets of Crime box set from 2002. This also happens to be the first figure(s) of the character(s) ever made.

First let's look at Arnold Wesker, the Ventriloquist, sans Scarface.

Unlike the figure from The Batman, this Scarface is removable from the Ventriloquist's arms. Arnold Wesker is sculpted with priority going to the ability to hold Scarface and stand at the same time, which makes him look a little goofy alone. It also doesn't work all that well, as no matter what you do, he's bound to tip over with Scarface in his hands. Articulation is limited to shoulders, waist swivel, and neck swivel.

They probably would have been better off sculpting them as a single unit, but kudos to the design team for trying something different.

Arnold does sport an excellent facial sculpt. He appears to be talking out the side of his mouth, which is reflective of his poor ventriloquistic abilities in the comics (if not in the cartoons.)

Scarface has no articulation and a tommy gun molded into his hand, but he fits into Wesker's arms nicely.
I would have preferred a more wooden tone to Scarface's skin, but otherwise he's a nice sculpt, if not entirely accurate to any of his cartoon designs.

He does have quite a scar as well. There's also a little slot in his back where Wesker's hand actually slips into. That's a pretty nifty touch as well.

Also included in the set, besides the repainted Nightwing and Bruce to Batman figures, is a repainted Killer Croc.

I never really liked this animated design, the way his jaw connected and left him no lips or cheeks always bothered me. He was originally grey, and that seemed kind of stupid as well for a character who is supposed to be reminiscent of a crocodile. Later they redesigned his character for the cartoon, making him look better (IMO) as well as green. I guess they figured if they just recolored the old sculpt no one would notice.

He's not a bad figure though, and he's pretty accurate to his cartoon look sculptwise. His right arm moves up and down like normal action figure arms, but also has a pull -back punch feature which adds to his playability.

He also came with a small pet alligator, whom he will hug and squeeze and call George.

Like I said, I was never a fan of this design for Killer Croc...never, that is, until this guy:

The second Killer Croc to be released as part of Mattel's 6" Batman line, this figure is surprisingly a re-paint of an earlier, far more crocodilian figure, with a new head sculpt and more detailed paint applications.

Based on his animated appearance, but with a more "realistic" or comic book design, THIS is what Killer Croc oughta look like! I'll post more about him soon, along with a comparison against the first Killer Croc from the same 6" Batman lineup.

"Mama?"

4 comments:

  1. I need to get the batman animated toy blog going, you want to be a contributor? I understand if you don't, I would'nt want you to give up any content.

    I'm going to try and get a header set up next week so stay tuned.

    Love the croc comparison by the way, look forward to the second part of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CB - I'd love to be a contributor - It'd be cool to focus on one toyline like that. Keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me, and probably to Chris Nolan, Croc is too much of an unrealistic character. I love my villains to be "fantastical" but Croc seems to be a little bit over the top for my taste. I did have the gray croc and rarely used him in my "adventures." The 2nd croc you pictured actually reminds me of Predator a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jay,

    Yeah I can imagine Nolan staying away from Croc. Although there is some wiggle room if he took the angle of physical deformity and/or body modification.

    ReplyDelete